Wednesday, September 2, 2009

The CCC Staff Turns 33!

Last night's lines:
CC: 1-5, 1R
Gomes: 3-4, 3R, 1RBI, 1SB (!)

Another of the guys we used to watch a lot in Durham, Andy Sonnanstine, had a very not so good night against the Red Sox. Bummed about that, but I'm sure he's more bummed. The only game the compa and I have seen at the Trop was his CG SHO of the White Sox last year, so the brilliance is in there!

Anyway, I woke up this morning to find out over at Can't Have Too Many Cards that I share a birthday with Terry Bradshaw and Billy Preston. Good stuff!

There are two weird things I find about birthdays as an adult: 1) as a gift for yourself you are more apt to finally spend money on that trimmer you need than the Goudey Dizzy Dean you are dyeing to have; 2) no one will get the Dean for you for your birthday. You must get it yourself later, after which your partner/wife/husband/significant other will, upon receiving the credit card bill, say, "What the #@#$ is this three-digit PayPal charge on the credit card!"

Long story short, birthday or not, gotta keep things on a budget. Last year I picked up this card for under $20:
Sure, with all the fakes in circulation you never know, but I have seen another of the /5 on ebay, so I feel pretty good about it. I really dig the look of the Bowman card to begin with, and Carl's quizzical expression makes you wonder if he forgot his contacts. Having a sig on it makes it great for me. For some reason the 1999 Topps Traded tends to sell for a bit more, so I was pretty stoked to score this for what I did.

Anyway, have a great one!

7 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday my brother, it only gets worse as you get older!!! You deserve that Goudey card, though and no one else is gonna by for ya, so just do it now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one sweet Crawford card... Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday (well day after now) to you and "the staff"!

    ReplyDelete