Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Get Your Suitcase Packed: Another Fargo Addition

I know I'm backed up and again, apologies to those to whom I owe posts. These were scanned in from before I went to Honduras, and I'm gonna let them rip until I get the scanner running.

I noticed Big Nick's had a small box marked "$3.99/ no discounts" last time I was there. Had I not noticed it before? Where had it been? No matter. It was mostly vintage commons in decent shape. The randomness of the offerings (and the name written on some of them!) have me convinced they belonged to a little old lady who brought them in to make a few bucks. 

First up of the 4 cards I scored: Harry "Suitcase" Simpson, the larger version of "Briefcase" Simpson found here
Troll posted about Suitcase a while back, but try as I might I can't find it (help me out, T!). The '50s were FULL of great sets, and for some reason I feel like the '53s get lost in the mix. These are a REAL painted set (sorry Nat'l Chicle) and show what can be done with that kind of card production. And as you can tell by Mr. Simpson's awkward, toothy smile, these aren't even idealized portraits. Here we've got Suitcase Simpson, misaligned teeth and all, flashing a ML smile with the lip of the upper deck railing rising just over his right shoulder. And then, of course, the back:

Stengel once called him the best defensive RF in the game? Great praise! And here you also have the marks from a stamp which, I believe, says "Dolores Pederson." I'll have some more Dolores for you tomorrow, but that's all for now.

Have a good one everybody and goodnight Pumpsie Green, wherever you are!

No comments:

Post a Comment