Friday, September 10, 2010

Whaling Part 2: The Satchel Paige

This is THE card I've been chasing since I got back in to collecting.
What can you say? The man was a legend, by which I mean his greatest exploits are not "officially" recognized by MLB because they are not "verifiable" by league-approved means. I get it, I really do. Despite the lack of "official" stats, no one from that era disputes Satch's prowess. His team barnstormed with that of Bob Feller. His dominance of Josh Gibson, perhaps the greatest home run hitter of all-time, is amazing. What sealed it for me, though, is his take on why you don't eat fried foods: they angry up the blood. This of course is very, very true. 

As and aside, a while back I even got a chance to shake hands with Larry LeGrande who was Satchel's last catcher on the Satchel Paige All-Stars. All I can say is if you get the chance to meet Mr. LeGrande at a game you need to GO. 

Good stuff, good stuff.

Have a good one everybody and goodnight Pumpsie Green, wherever you are!

2 comments:

  1. So my tiny brain couldn't decipher from this post whether or not you actually have this card...
    To me this card is one of the most iconic and important cards of all time. I have owned several over the years, but now all I have is reprints and archives cards. Even they are cool.
    I meant to respond to your original whale post. There are a few cards that I covet deeply, but can't afford. Any time they show up for bid, I place a bid early. They generally sell for 4 times my bid, but someday I might get lucky...
    For me, they are 1948 LEaf Larry Doby, 1956 Topps Roberto Clemente, 1953 Topps Jackie Robinson and Satchel Paige... Also 1909 Sam Crawford, 1999 TT Autographed Carl Crawford, 1887 King Kelly, 1993 Finest Refractor of Danny Tartabull and my nemesis and bad luck charm - 1965 Topps Steve Carlton... The last one has become fairly affordable, but after my last copy was stolen days after I bought it, I bid REALLY low on that one... Cheers! and if you own the Satch card, congrats ya bastard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I'm a complete idiot. I guess I;m still overcome after having FINALLY landed the Satch lol.
    And I'm with you: I'm after that friggin' 99 Traded CC auto!

    ReplyDelete