Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Overdue Thanks

First up, from a pretty nice trade from gritz76, 1979 Topps Fergie "Fly" Jenkins looking pretty fly. I pulled this card because of the devil may care attitude Fergie sports on the upper steps of the dugout. Good to know the dude could relax, b/c between the lines Fly Jenkins was all business. Also one of the greatest Canadian pitchers ever.
Next up, stunning 2009 Finest Carl Crawford Refractor from Ryan's Memorabilia blog. Sir, I am in your debt. This is the only 2009 Finest I own, much less the only refractor, and it's a sweet card. I like how the scan gave it a rainbow effect.
Keeping with the Crawford theme, this 2008 Allen & Ginter Bat card from the Capt'n over at Waxaholic. Let's face facts: Allen & Ginter is sweet. Not sweet enough to make me give up my addiction to vintage, but really, really sweet. I like how you can still touch the bat chip even though it's on a card in the frame. Very, very cool.
Finally, in a package of 1986 Topps needs from Chris at 1980toppsbaseball.blogspot.com I got a 1976 Buddy Bell Father and Sons Card as a surprise.
Coincidentally, the Capt'n had sent me the same card, since it was a need from my 1976 set. The packages arrived on the same day. This story on the back of this card makes you want to cry.
He was on the verge of quitting baseball?!? His dad drove from Cincy to Sarasota to convince him to tough it out?!? Not the type of stuff you usually get from athletes.

Anyway, many thanks to all of you for your kindness and generosity. Looking forward to more trades and exchanges in the future!

And on that note, tomorrow I'm heading to heaven, er, Iowa for a few days, so the blog will be on a brief hiatus. Peace, and have a great one!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, i am insanely jealous! That refractor is nice, but that bat card is amazing!!! I've been begging for a CC bat card for a while now. I can't find anyone willing to give one up. You must have shelled out something nice! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heads up that I profiled your site today on the #5 type collection and pointed to this entry specifically for its father-son combo card.

    http://number5typecollection.blogspot.com/2009/07/type-site-carl-crawford-cards.html

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete