Tuesday, February 16, 2010

From NC to ND (and back): Jim Perry

As a quick editorial note, CCC now has an editorial assistant: the compa. Seems my spelling, etc. are just too bad, and I was never much of a proofread, so she's jumping on board.

I'm a big fan of southern ballplayers and one of the greatest is All Star and Cy Young Award winner Jim Perry. Now, I've done some ttms, and I hadn't really thought of writing him until I was at Daddy D's over Christmas and, while thumbing through some cards from the vault: Mr. Perry spent a year in Fargo while in the minors.

The vehicle: ttm request to Mr. Perry. The goal: an answer to the question, "how does one survive the cold up here?" First, the ttms:

The 1960 Topps All-Star Rookie RC. A gift from Daddy D, a great one no doubt, and I'm pretty sure this one will be going back to Iowa in the near future. And then:

Mr. Perry with the Twins. This card is the one that records his time in Fargo on the back. From the photo I'm guessing this is back when they had outdoor baseball in the Twin Cities. And they're returning to that tradition this year, which I think is great, only in July. In April? From what I hear there's still snow on the ground in parts, but since I'm the new guy they might be messing with me. Or maybe not.

At any rate, Mr. Perry's advice on surviving the cold? "Move away" This ain't good. :)

Have a good one everybody and goodnight Pumpsie Green, wherever you are!

No comments:

Post a Comment