Saturday, January 30, 2010

CC HIghlights: 2005 UD Origins Old Judge Auto

I don't ever recall seeing these one sale (not that I was looking) but this a really awesome card, auto or no. The green background may throw you a bit because at first it looks like a relic from the original set of gunsmoke, but Daddy D sent over the Jeff Niemann (non-auto) from this set and I really dug it.

The card is on fairly hefty stock, so it feels like a card should. The auto is on card, and is really well incorporated into the overall design. The sepia-toned photo is a little on the small side, but it a) fits in with the overall feel of the design and the card and b) the pared-down size is a legitimate gesture towards   "real" tobacco cards.

Like any other player collector, I wouldn't mind acquiring some of the higher end autos of the player I collect, but frankly I find a lot of them to be garish products whose prices reflect contrived scarcity. When I can get a card like this for MUCH cheaper and still have money left over to eat, my choice is pretty much made for me.

Have a good one and goodnight Pumpsie Green, wherever you are!

1 comment:

  1. I don't know much about higher end, but I can tell you that I do like the Old Judge Autos that I have seen. I only have 1 maybe two of them and everything you say is correct - the look good, the card stock is nice and the on card auto looks good on the card.

    ReplyDelete